Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Yosemite Valley and beyond October 30, 2009

Wednesday’s day trip to Yosemite did not happen – too tired, too much wind & Tioga Pass closed; one of the images I wanted to take was at Siesta Lake along the Tioga Road.


The urge to go, however, festered and Friday 10/30 was it, I just had to get up and go. Overall I could have turned around and go back to sleep when my alarm went off, but I am too nosey and have to see for myself. In hindsight, I should have taken all the images I wanted on Monday, but I ran out of light… :-(
On the road at 3:30AM (took hwy 120 this time). Stopped in Oakdale for gas and at Denny’s for a breakfast to go. Was by the Yosemite Chapel at 6:50AM and dawn was just breaking.
I drove to the Yosemite Village Parking lot and ate my breakfast. The trees that would be in full color in front of the store were already bare……


So, I started my valley loop around 7:30AM. Most of the dogwoods around the village are either green-brown, light yellow or bare. The elm tree in Cooks meadow is just about bare. The oak trees are at peak (orange-brown or 50% bare) I had a morning image planned here but skipped it based on these conditions. Some of the other places I had scoped out on Monday were now past peak or bare. The oak behind the chapel is about 75% bare and the color is deep orange-brown.


20091030_8285

Fall Colors along a trail with a view of the three brothers – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


Dogwoods around the valley look like they are going to the yellow-brown stage. There are a few colorful trees here and there, but I did not stop for them. At Fern Spring I could see the damage the wind has done. A lot of green leaves were ripped off of the trees and were now on the ground. The spring itself was full of leaves, but not what I had pictured it to be. I have an image from 2008 where the whole small pond is covered in leaves.


I left the valley to drive to Siesta Lake at ~8,000 ft. I wanted a shot of the lake and its October ring of red blueberry bushes. They were somewhat past peak and part of the lake was frozen, but I think I got a few good reflections on the unfrozen parts. From here I turned around and drove into the Merced River Canyon. You will find great color along highway 140 and Incline Road, but it is difficult to get a good shot, not unless you want to rock hop or stand in the river. I found a couple of areas along Incline Road where I could stop and shoot. For most of it I just enjoyed the drive amongst the color.


20091030_8320

Siesta Lake – Yosemite National Park – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_3701

Siesta Lake Reflections – Yosemite National Park – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_8299

Siesta Lake – Yosemite National Park – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_3712

Merced River Reflections – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_3716

Yellow Fall Wildflower found along Incline Road outside of Yosemite – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .



Back to the valley by 1:30PM for one more loop. I got a great shot of Bridalveil Falls and a yellow oak right from the parking lot. The afternoon sun was back lighting the oaks in El Capitan meadow and I shot here for a while. Most of them were orange-brown with a few yellow ones. A few of them were already 50% bare.


20091030_8343

Bridalveil Falls – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_8369

Black Oak El Capitan Meadow – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


20091030_3741

Colorful leaves on shrubs found in El Capitan Meadow – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


Taking highway 120 to leave the park, I came upon a bear jam, with cars parking in the middle of the road – I did not stop this time, the bear was up on a hill and there was no way to pull over. I had to drive into on-coming traffic to get by. The dogwoods along Highway 120 west of Crane Flat were bare. I had planned on shooting them…….too late. There may be some colorful ones left in the Merced or Tuolumne Groves.
A few colorful spots can be found along hwy 120 and I took the Smith Station Road - J132 to Coulterville. This was a beautiful drive, the road is littered with yellow oaks (but no way to stop), and I just enjoyed the colorful ride to hwy 49. Back home at 7:45PM.


20091030_3796

Black Oak Leaves – October 30, 2009. © Copyright Inge Fernau .


These (digital) photographs are not in the public domain! They may not be used on websites, blogs, or in any other media, they may not be copied, printed or otherwise reproduced in any manner or form, whether in whole or in part without explicit advance written permission from Inge Fernau

Please visit my website for this and more. All images may be purchased or licensed in a range of sizes.


Facebook - Magical Glow Photography
Twitter - Inge Fernau

No comments: